The Perfect Cheesecake Recipe
It requires you to find old fashioned farmer cheese and Zweiback teething crackers. Friendship dairies still makes Farmer Cheese but Nabisco no longer makes Zweiback. I think slicing and slowly toasting/drying challah in the oven might result in a good Zweiback substitute.
·for the filling
3/4 lbcream cheese
3/4 lbfarmer cheese
1 1/2 csour cream
1 1/2 cmilk
2 tspvanilla extract
1 1/2 csugar
·for the crumbs
2 1/2 czweiback crumbs
1/4 lbbutter or margarine (1 stick)
How to Make The Perfect Cheesecake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese and farmer cheese until smooth.
- Continue beating and add the eggs (one at a time), milk and vanilla.
- Mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt and add to the wet ingredients, beating until smooth.
- To make the crust, mix together the crumbs, cinnamon and sugar. Add the butter and work with your hands until it is well distributed and coats the crumbs.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the buttered crumbs to use later on top of the cheesecake.
- Lightly butter a springform pan and place the pan on a cookie sheet to avoid later disaster. Press the crumbs into the sides and bottom of the pan to form a crust.
- Never NEVER pick up the springform pan without supporting its bottom. Nothing is sadder than a whole cheesecake smashed on the oven door or inside the refridgerator. This is the voice of experience speaking!!!
- To assemble, pour the filling carefully into the crust trying not to move the crumbs.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top of the filling.
- Bake for one hour on a rack in the middle of the oven. Turn off the oven and allow the cake to stand in the oven for a second hour.
- Refrigerate for several hours before attempting to remove the sides of the springform pan and serving.