THE GUESTS ARE AT THE DOOR CAKE (RUSSIAN JAM CAKE)
Recipe: The Russian Heritage Cookbook
1 1/2 stickplus 1 tbsp. butter, softened
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda mixed with 3 drops cider vinegar
1 cfruit preserves (raspberry, strawberry, plum, apricot, etc.)
How to Make THE GUESTS ARE AT THE DOOR CAKE (RUSSIAN JAM CAKE)
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer beat butter until light and add sugar, beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and soda and gradually add to butter mixture. Toward the end of the mixing process the dough will become quite thick; use your hands instead of the mixer to blend in the last 1/2 cup of flour.
- Pat dough into a 1-1/2-inch thick layer into a 10-inch square buttered and floured pan, reserving about 1/3 cup of dough.
- Using a spatula, cover top with a generous layer of jam. Pat remaining dough into small pieces about a half inch wide and 1/4 inch thick and arrange on top of jam. (This is not a lattice pattern; you will not have enough dough for that, and the arrangement need not be symmetrical. The dough will spread during the baking process and form a thin, uneven and crusty layer with jam showing through.)
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, until patches of dough on top of cake are a deep golden brown. Cool before slicing.