Sweet and Tart Lime Chiffon Custard Tart
★★★★★ 1 vote5
40vanilla wafer cookies (about 1/2 an 11 oz. box), crushed into fine crumbs
1/4 cbutter (1/2 stick), melted
3 largeeggs, separated
1 can(s)sweetened condensed milk (13 oz.)
1/2 cfresh lime juice (about 2 medium limes)
How to Make Sweet and Tart Lime Chiffon Custard Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter thoroughly.
This is most easily done by using a food processor to make the crumbs. Then pour in the butter and pulse a few times to mix.
- Set aside about 1/4 of the buttered crumbs. Make an even layer of 3/4 of the crumbs in a greased, 7" x 12" glass baking pan or similar lasagna pan.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the salt. Thoroughly mix in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the lime juice to the egg yolk mixture. Stir gently for about 1 minute until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Fold in the egg whites, continuing to fold until the egg whites are thoroughly incorporated but keep the mixture as airy as possible.
- Pour the filling mixture on top of the crumbs and spread to even. Distribute the reserved 1/4 of the crumbs on top of the filling.
- Put the tart into the middle of the 350 oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the tart comes out clean or an instant read thermometer shows an internal temperature of 175F.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. It will collapse slightly.
Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.