Sweet and Tart Lime Chiffon Custard Tart
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- vanilla wafer cookies (about 1/2 an 11 oz. box), crushed into fine crumbs
- 1/4 c
- butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 3 large
- eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk (13 oz.)
- 1/2 c
- fresh lime juice (about 2 medium limes)
How to Make Sweet and Tart Lime Chiffon Custard Tart
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter thoroughly.
This is most easily done by using a food processor to make the crumbs. Then pour in the butter and pulse a few times to mix.
- 3Set aside about 1/4 of the buttered crumbs. Make an even layer of 3/4 of the crumbs in a greased, 7" x 12" glass baking pan or similar lasagna pan.
- 4Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the salt. Thoroughly mix in the sweetened condensed milk.
- 6Add the lime juice to the egg yolk mixture. Stir gently for about 1 minute until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- 7Fold in the egg whites, continuing to fold until the egg whites are thoroughly incorporated but keep the mixture as airy as possible.
- 8Pour the filling mixture on top of the crumbs and spread to even. Distribute the reserved 1/4 of the crumbs on top of the filling.
- 9Put the tart into the middle of the 350 oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the tart comes out clean or an instant read thermometer shows an internal temperature of 175F.
- 10Allow to cool to room temperature. It will collapse slightly.
Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.