Strawberry Coconut Jelly Cake
Rose Mary Mogan
So this is my special creation, using Apple Jelly, Strawberry Jelly, Strawberry gelatin, Powdered sugar & Lemon Juice.
It was one of the first cakes to go at the Community Event I just did. Everyone loved it, & it created memories 4 many.
- 3 stick
- butter, softened
- 1 c
- sour cream, room temperature
- 6 large
- eggs, room temperature
- 3 c
- white lily all purpose flour + 6 tablespoons
- `1 Tbsp
- almond extract + 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 jar(s)
- 12 oz. smucker's apple jelly
- 1 jar(s)
- 18 oz. apple jelly
- 2 box
- 3 oz. strawberry gelatin (dry)
- 2 jar(s)
- 8 oz. strawberry jelly
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 1 pkg
- sweetened shredded coconut about 3 cups or more if desired
- garnish fresh strawberries quartered (optional) & green candies for added color if desired
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
STRAWBERRY APPLE JELLY FROSTING
How to Make Strawberry Coconut Jelly Cake
- 1PLEASE NOTE: My brother Curtis told me that the reason Rex Jelly was so popular when we were growing up, was because it was the cheapest you could buy at the time, and with a household of 13, I do understand why mama use it as a frosting to frost many of her cakes. We were well below the poverty level, & it was an inexpensive way to have an economical dessert. It really TASTED GREAT TO US, WE LOVED IT. If YOU ARE NOT USING the White Lily All purpose flour, please omit the additional 6 tablespoons of flour.
- 2Because I created this frosting before leaving for the 650 mile trip in ARKANSAS, & wanted to make sure I had enough frosting. I made more than I anticipated I would need, so you may want to cut back on the quantity that you use. I did have some left over after frosting the 3 layer 9X9 size SQUARE CAKES.
- 9To make the strawberry Jelly frosting add all of the jellies to a large bowl, then add the gelatin, powdered sugar, & lemon juice, then whisk or beat with a mixer on low speed till blended. Frost each layer separately then top with shredded coconut, before adding the next layer. Coat sides also if desired, and add shredded coconut. Garnish with fresh strawberries and candies if desired. NOTE: You can also add STRAWBERRY JAM between each cake layers if desired, instead of the jelly and just use the jelly for the top and sides. Refrigerate leftover for a later use if desired.
- 10Frost one layer of cake at a time, before adding the next layer, then top each layer with the sweetened shredded coconut, on sides and liberally on top. Garnish with fruit and candy as desired.