Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shortcake
I think this is from the 1980s when Cool Whip reigned in the whipped cream department. I'm sure you could use regular cream, and whip it with a stabilizer, and get the same results. One way to stabilize whipped cream is to add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to the cream as you are whipping it.
- 1 c
- sugar, divided
- 1/2 c
- butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 large
- 2 tsp
- vanilla, divided
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- mini chocolate chips, divided
- 16 oz
- dairy sour cream
- 2 large
- 1 small
- container cool whip
- 2 c
- fresh strawberries, rinsed and halved
How to Make Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shortcake
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- 2Beat together 1/2 cup sugar and the butter in a large bowl. Add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until creamy. Gradually add flour and baking powder, beating until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
- 3Stir together sour cream, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour over mixture in pan.
- 4Bake 50-55 minutes until almost set in center and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack; remove sides of pan. Spread whipped topping over top. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, arrange strawberry halves on top of cake. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.