SOUTHERNIZED ARKANSAS SWEET BREAD TIRAMISU
Rose Mary Mogan
My husband said it was very very good, & could not wait to get home to have more for dinner. I already have a traditional recipe for Tiramisu posted, but wanted to try a Southern version using ingredients I am familiar with, & also substituting for the Mascarpone Cheese, since it is not ALWAYS READILY AVAILABLE in small towns.
- 1-recipe for mama's arkansas sweet bread, see post here, or use store bought pound cake at least 36 pieces
- 16 oz
- cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c
- heavy whipping cream plus extra 1 1/2 cups
- 1/3 c
- sour cream ( 5 tablespoons)
- 1/2 c
- sugar plus 1/4cup sugar (keep separate)
- 4 Tbsp
- corn starch (1/4 cup)
- 2 large
- eggs plus (1 lg egg yolk)
- 3 1/2 c
- whole milk, (divided)
- 2 Tbsp
- softened butter
- 2 tsp
- coffee extract or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c
- boiling water
- 6 Tbsp
- instant coffee
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/3 c
- armaretto or southern comfort whiskey or dark rum
- 1/2 c
- coffee liqueur
- 1/4-1/3 c
- cocoa powder
- shaved chocolate (optional)
MAMA'S ARKANSAS SWEET BREAD
MASCARPONE CHEESE SUBSTITUTE
VANILLA PUDDING MIXTURE
COFFEE SYRUP MIXTURE FOR SOAKING
How to Make SOUTHERNIZED ARKANSAS SWEET BREAD TIRAMISU
- 1PLEASE NOTE THAT MY BAKE AND PREP TIME ARE just my guesstimates only. It may take you more or less time, than it took me. Especially if you choose to use store bought pound cake, and use the cook & serve pudding mix. The OVERNIGHT CHILL TIME IS NOT INCLUDED. This is what my mascarpone cheese substitute looked like before I put it in the fridge to be mixed with my homemade pudding.
- 2Prepare Mama's Arkansas Sweet Bread according to instructions in recipe, except you should substitute coffee Extract for the vanilla Extract, IF AVAILABLE, other wise just use vanilla. This recipe will make 2 loaf pans 12 X 4 1/2 X 3. 1/4 inches. After cake has cooled slice into 36 slices about 1/2 inch thick. Then place on a baking sheet and toast in oven, or use a toaster oven or lay out on a large platter and let dry out. This way the dessert will not be too soggy when you add the coffee soaking liquid.Link for the cake recipe:MAMA'S ARKANSAS SWEET BREAD
- 3MASCARPONE CHEESE SUBSTITUTE: Combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream, and 1/3 cup of sour cream, the ingredients for the mascarpone Cheese into a large bowl. Then beat until smooth. After a creamy consistency is reached, add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream. Beat until light and fluffy, then refrigerate till needed.
- 4TO MAKE THE VANILLA PUDDING MIXTURE: YOU CAN USE THE COOK AND SERVE Jello pudding mix if desired, if you do, then omit the ingredients listed for the vanilla pudding and just follow the instructions on the box, you will probably need at least 2 boxes though.
- 6Now in a medium size sauce pan, add 3 cups whole milk with 1/4 cup sugar, whisk together till blended then bring to a boil. REMOVE FROM HEAT. Then temper the egg mixture by by SLOWLY ADDING A SMALL AMOUNT OF THE HOT MILK TO THE EGG MIXTURE, ALL THE WHILE WHISKING TO BLEND. THEN ADD A LITTLE MORE HOT MILK AND STIR BRISKLY, , AND REPEAT TILL YOU HAVE ADDED ALL OF THE REMAINING HOT MILK.
- 7AFTER YOU HAVE TEMPERED THE EGGS, POUR THE MIXTURE INTO A MEDIUM SIZE SAUCE PAN, AND PLACE OVER medium high heat, then stir till mixture begins to thicken about 5 minutes and mixture begins to coat the spoon. After it is thick remove from heat and then add the 2 tablespoons butter, and stir till melted, then add the coffee extract or vanilla, and stir to blend.Allow mixture to COOL COMPLETELY.Can place in fridge to cool faster, but place a piece of saran wrap over the pudding to prevent it from forming a skim on top while cooling.
- 8To prepare the coffee syrup soaking mixture: Heat the water to boiling, then add in the instant coffee, sugar, armaretto and stir thourgly to blend, then after blending add the coffee liqueur and stir again. By adding the coffee liqueur lastly the coffee will have cooled down some, and hopefully will not coddle the milk in the liqueur.