SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY SAVARIN
This old fashioned, comfort dessert, the savarin, is updated
- 13 1/2 oz
- coconut milk, divided
- 1/2 stick
- unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large
- egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 c
- unbleached bread flour
- 3/4 c
- sugar, divided
- 1 tsp
- salt, divided
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1 large
- tall, slender pineapple with leaves attached
- 3 c
- fresh sweet strawberries, hulled
How to Make SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY SAVARIN
- 1Place 1/2 cup coconut milk, butter, egg yolks, bread flour, 5 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and yeast in a bread machine in the order given by manufacturer. Set machine on dough setting. When finished, pour batter into a greased Savarin pan or any 6 – cup capacity ring pan. Let rise, covered, until double in bulk. Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes on kitchen counter, then run knife along edges and invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- 2In a 2 1/2 qt saucepan, combine pineapple juice, remaining coconut milk and 1/4 cup sugar for syrup. Cook over low heat 15 minutes or until slightly thick. Pour into a tall narrow jar to facilitate working with an injector.
- 3Place cake on a round platter. Inject cake with syrup using a cake injector or a Cajun injector for turkeys. Prevent injecting too deep, because cake will leak if you poke a hole in the bottom of the cake. Brush any remaining syrup over top of cake. Let stand a few hours to soak up syrup.
- 4Cake can be served well chilled or at room temperature. Toss remaining sugar with strawberries. Before serving, place tall pineapple inside ring with crown still attached and surround cake with strawberries. After the savarin is cut up, the pineapple can be cut up and divided too.
- 5*To peel pineapple:
Thinly remove outer peel of pineapple. Leave crown on. Cut out the eyes of pineapple using a small sharp knife and follow the spiral pattern of the eyes. This pineapple looks festive and you will not waste much pineapple because only the eyes are cut out. If pineapple does not fit into the ring, whittle bottom until it does.