Snowballs (Russian Tea Cakes)
They used to be my very favorite Christmas cookie when I was a child which is saying a lot, since she used to make dozens of different types. I like to think I am passing along the tradition.
I have made one change from her original recipe, although I am sure she would be just as pleased with my version!
These are a definite hit and we usually go through them before Christmas arrives and consequently, I end up making another double batch!
How to Make Snowballs (Russian Tea Cakes)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla then gradually add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, measure, then sift again with the salt. Add gradually to the butter mixture. Add the pecans and mix well.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are very lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheets. After 5 minutes, roll in powdered sugar while still hot. Cool completely and roll again in powdered sugar before serving.
- Store in covered container.