I have not tried it yet, but it does sound interesting.
Recipe & photo:grouprecipes.com
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 1/2 cfarmer's cheese
5 Tbspcream of wheat (not instant)
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspvanilla extract
1 Tbspbutter, melted
1/2 ctoasted walnuts
1 csliced strawberries
·sour cream, optional
How to Make RUSSIAN ZAPEKANKA
- In a large bowl, combine cheese and egg yolks. Mix in the cream of wheat and sugar.
- Add baking soda, salt, vanilla and melted butter. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff; fold into other mixture. Fold in the walnuts.
- Add most of the strawberries and mix in.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 2-qt. baking dish. Spread a layer of sour cream on top and decorate with more sliced strawberries.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 50 minutes, or until golden.
- NOTE: You may also add about 1/2 cup raisins, if you like. Add them with the walnuts.