Rhubarb Upside-down Cake
1 cdark brown sugar
2 Tbspcream sherry
2 1/4 csugar
2 1/2 cflour**
1/2 ccoconut flour
1 1/2 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 cbuttermilk or sour milk
4 crhubarb, sliced thin
1 1/2 tspvanilla
How to Make Rhubarb Upside-down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
While the oven is preheating, melt the butter in the oven, in a 9x13 cake pan.
- Crumble the brown sugar over the melted butter, then sprinkle on the cream sherry.
Layer 1 cup of the sliced rhubarb over the top.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar, til fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beating, slowly incorporate milk. Add vanilla.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl, with mixer, about 1/3 at a time.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of rhubarb.
- Pour the batter evenly over the top of the topping layer in the cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- NOTE: If you don't have buttermilk, you can sour regular milk with 1T of vinegar to 1c of milk. Stir, and let set a few minutes while you're preparing the other ingredients. Whole milk works best, but whatever you have will do.
- NOTE: You don't have to use coconut flour, but it's very healthy, low carbohydrate, high fiber, and the coconut flavor is very mild. If you can't find it locally, you can get it here: www.bobsredmill.com
In this recipe, if you don't want to use the coconut flour, just use 3c regular all purpose flour.
- **We're gluten intolerant, so I use Bob's Red Mill brand All Purpose Baking Flour.