Real Old Fashion Pound Cake
She used so many different recipes using them. I wish now I had been smart enough as a kid to gather all of her recipes using Pound Cake or Date Nut Cake. Whoever said, kids were smart?
Mom could whip up some amazing desserts at the last minute just with those two different cakes.
Use only European Style or Organic Raw Butter.
- 1 lb
- (2 cups) raw organic butter or european style butter
- 1 lb
- ( 4 1/4 cups) cake flour, sifted before measuring
- extra large fresh organic eggs, room temp. and separated
- 1 lb
- (2 cups) granulated pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract, orange, lemon or fiori di sicilia
How to Make Real Old Fashion Pound Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350*. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until cake test done. Grease a bundt pan or two loaf pans.
- 2There are two ways of making the dough.
- 3Method 1; which I like best.
Cream the butter and work in the flour until it looks like cornmeal or cat litter.
Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl and add the sugar and extract. Beat until thick and fluffy.
Add the butter and flour mixture slowly to the egg yolk mixture. Continue beating till all is throughly incorporated.
Beat the egg whites till stiff. Fold into the other mixture and beat by hand for about 15 minutes.
- 4Method 2:
Cream butter, sugar and extract untill fluffy.
Beat the egg yolks until thick and add to the creamed butter.
Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the egg and butter mixture till well incorporated.
Fold in the flour gradually and hand beat for 15 minutes or longer.
Pour all into the greased bundt or loaf pans. Bake.
- 5If this is the cake I have on hand I use it for my Rum Baba or my Lemon Trifle.
Sometimes I will fry slices of the Pound cake and serve Banana Foster over it.