Pumpkin Baked Alaska
I think this is one great dessert. Many years ago I tried this recipe out on by co-workers at the paper. (they were always my guinea pigs ,heh-heh). I had to make and bake it at work and it took all day in between the oven and freezer and getting my column out.,but everyone was on time the next day to make sure they got piece of it-It was a hit.
This recipe sounds difficult, but it just has a lot of directions. Just read the recipe through first.
1 qtvanilla ice cream, softened
2 tsppumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 csugar, divided
3 Tbspplus 5 teas. water ,divided
1/2 tspvanilla extract
2/3 ccake flour, sifted*
1/2 tspbaking powder
5 largeegg whites
1/2 tspcream of tartar
1 tsprum extract
2 Tbspsliced almonds, toasted
How to Make Pumpkin Baked Alaska
- In a bowl, combine the ice cream and pumpkin pie spice. (or just use pumpkin ice cream).Transfer to a- 1 1/2 quart bowl lined with the new quick release foil; freeze until set.
Line a 9-inch round cake pan with release foil; release side up , and set aside. Place a clean towel over a wire rack; dust towel with powdered sugar; set aside.
- Beat eggs in a bowl with 1/2 c. sugar, 3 T. water and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, fold into egg mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 375^ for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately run a knife around the edge of the pan; invert onto prepared towel. Gently peel off foil if necessary; cool completely.
- Place cake on oven proof platter. Unmold ice cream onto cake; remove foil. Return to freezer.
- In a heavy saucepan, or double boiler, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with portable mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160^, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Spread meringue over frozen ice cream cake, sealing meringue to the platter, sprinkle with almonds.
- Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours. (so you can make ahead). Just before serving, broil on lowest rack position for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
You can use 2/3 c. sifted all purpose flour, less
1 T. instead of the cake flour, if necessary.