1 1/2 cprunes, pitted
1 tspvanilla extract or 2 tablespoons armagnec
2 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 cshortening ,at room temperature
·grated peel of 1/2 orange.
How to Make Prune Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Grease and flour a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan,combine prunes,1 cup of water, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat,cover,and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain prunes; *RESERVE THE LIQUID *.
Add water to prune liquid to make 1/2 cup,if necessary.
Stir vanilla into prune liquid; set aside.
- In a medium bowl,stir together flour,baking powder,baking soda,and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
Add 1 beaten egg at a time to the creamed mixture,beating well after each addition.
Please read carefully_
Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture Alternating with prune mixture ,until both prune mixture and dry ingredients are combined with the creamed mixture.
- Stir in prunes and orange peel.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 1 1/2 hours. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.