Pineapple Sunshine Cake
This cake is very light and perfect for a picnic on a hot day.
- envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- well-beaten egg yolks
- 1 c
- 2 c
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 c
- whipped cream
- egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 10 inch angel food cake
- pineapple tidbits for garnish, drained
- marachino cherries for garnish
- additional whipped cream for garnish
How to Make Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- 1Soften gelatin in cold water.
- 2Combine egg yolks, sugar, and milk. Mix well. Cook in top of double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly until spoon is coated.
- 3Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- 5Stir in crushed pineapple. Fold in whipped cream and egg whites.
- 6Remove the crust from the angel food cake and slice in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 7Layer the cake and custard in a 13 x 9 x 2 pan starting with the cake and alternating with the custard until both have been used all up.
- 8Chill until set.
- 9Garnish with additional whipped cream, pineapple tidbits and cherries.