Pineapple Sunshine Cake
This cake is very light and perfect for a picnic on a hot day.
2envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 ccold water
3well-beaten egg yolks
18 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cwhipped cream
3egg whites, stiffly beaten
110 inch angel food cake
·pineapple tidbits for garnish, drained
·marachino cherries for garnish
·additional whipped cream for garnish
How to Make Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and milk. Mix well. Cook in top of double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly until spoon is coated.
- Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in crushed pineapple. Fold in whipped cream and egg whites.
- Remove the crust from the angel food cake and slice in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Layer the cake and custard in a 13 x 9 x 2 pan starting with the cake and alternating with the custard until both have been used all up.
- Chill until set.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, pineapple tidbits and cherries.