* Heat oven to 350°.
* Butter and flour a 5x9x3-inch loaf pan.
* In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
* Separate the mixture to the side of the bowl, leaving an opening in the middle.
* Add the egg yolks and beat just the yolks until light and lemon colored.
* Work the yolks into the creamed mixture.
* Now, fold in those egg whites. cream mixture.
* Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
* Gradually add flour mixture to the first mixture, alternating with the milk.
* Beat well.
* Blend in the lemon zest and juice and the extract.
* Bake about 50 - 60 minutes. (Make sure and check at 40 mins just in case!)
* Cool in pan on rack for about 45 minutes.
* Remove from pan and cool thoroughly.
* Pour lemon sauce on top. [see recipe below]