Oatmeal Pear Nut Vanilla Butternut Scones
"Make Them Your Own Scones"
"Maple Nut Pear Oatmeal Scones"
I used the things I like which did happen to be pears, oats and nuts, pecans to be specific.
I think next time I might use honey syrup and/or walnuts or not. I really liked the way they came out with this recipe. I know I will eventually change it up.
Please, posts any variations you make that you like how they turn out and LET ME KNOW because I have fallen head over heels in love with scones!!!
Enjoy!!! an don't forget to make them your own!!!
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 c
- quick cooking oats
- 2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 - 2 tsp
- fine sea salt
- 1 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- "frozen" or very cold butter or margarine
- 1 large
- 2 tsp
- vanilla butternut extract (i used lorann)
- 2 small
- "fruit cups" / fresh (anykind) chopped, juice reserved
- 1 c
- chopped pecans
- reserved fruit juice
- milk as needed to make 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid
How to Make Oatmeal Pear Nut Vanilla Butternut Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet/sheets.
- 2In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Grate frozen butter or use a pastry cutter or two knifes to cut into pea sized pieces and well incorporated.
***If grating is small enough you may not need to cut it in, just make sure it is well incorporated.
***It is very wise to buy a pastry cutter if you make pastry doughs or pie doughs often.
- 3In a measuring cup, beat the egg, then add extract and juice to make 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid. If needed add milk to make 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid. Put in 1 1/2 cups then add a tablespoon at a time to the right consistency which is sticky.
- 4Quickly add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing until just blended and the dough is well moistened.
***The dough will be sticky.
- 5Fold in drained fruit and nuts.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and be sure it is combined. You should see lumps of butter in the dough.
- 7Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 1/2" to 3/4" thick in a circle or rectangle (which ever is your preference) and cut into wedges.
Place wedges on the prepared baking sheet/sheets. Make sure you separate them and have a little space between to allow them to bake appropriately.
***These are not recommended for the drop method.
- 8Bake for 15 minutes. The scones should be crisp and done inside (check with toothpick for doneness, toothpick should come out clean).
- 9If after 15 minutes scones aren't done decrease temp to 350 degrees and bake for up to 10 minutes more, checking every 2 or 3 minutes.
- 10***You can make a glaze to compliment your flavor combination if desired:
1 tsp. extract of choice
1 Tbsp. milk/water/left over fruit juice
Mix extract and liquid, add sugar until desired consistency is reached. Can add spices, juice or zest to the glaze if you'd like.
- 11***You can make these in all kinds of tastes and flavors. Just play with it using your favorite flavors, spices and additions. It is a very forgiving scone recipe.