MOTHER'S RED VELVET CAKE (SALLYE)
How to Make MOTHER'S RED VELVET CAKE (SALLYE)
Preheat oven to 350º
Grease and flour three (3) 8" or 9" round cake pans, set aside
In small bowl, mix cocoa powder and vinegar to form a paste, set aside
- Beat sugar and butter together until creamy
Continue to beat while adding eggs, and continue beating until fluffy.
Add cocoa paste to butter mixture and beat until blended.
- FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, YOU WILL USE A WOODEN SPOON TO MIX.
Sift salt, soda and flour together.
Stir into butter mixture until well blended
Add buttermilk, cake coloring and vanilla to mixture
Continue stirring with wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter equally into three prepared cake pans.
Smooth out batter in pans.
Place in preheated oven and cook for approximately 35 minutes (until toothpick inserted in thickest part comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for approximately 10 minutes.
Turn out onto cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before transferring to serving dish.
frost with your favorite icing.
Cream cheese frosting and butter cream frosting links are in comments below.
- Ice with your choice of frosting.