MOTHER'S RED VELVET CAKE (SALLYE)
1 tspwhite vinegar
1 tspcocoa powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 cbutter, softened
2 cgranulated sugar
2-1/2 ccake flour
2 Tbspred food coloring drops
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make MOTHER'S RED VELVET CAKE (SALLYE)
Preheat oven to 350º
Grease and flour three (3) 8" or 9" round cake pans, set aside
In small bowl, mix cocoa powder and vinegar to form a paste, set aside
- Beat sugar and butter together until creamy
Continue to beat while adding eggs, and continue beating until fluffy.
Add cocoa paste to butter mixture and beat until blended.
- FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, YOU WILL USE A WOODEN SPOON TO MIX.
Sift salt, soda and flour together.
Stir into butter mixture until well blended
Add buttermilk, cake coloring and vanilla to mixture
Continue stirring with wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter equally into three prepared cake pans.
Smooth out batter in pans.
Place in preheated oven and cook for approximately 35 minutes (until toothpick inserted in thickest part comes out clean).
- Turn out onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting. See ingredients for our preferred frostings.