Mini Boston Cream Pies
I make several smaller versions of everyday desserts: these Boston Cream Pies; Mini Cherry and Apple Pies, as well as Mini Whoopie Pies, Mini Cakes and Candies. I hope that you will enjoy these darling little mini Boston Cream Pies.
I often wondered why they call Boston Cream Pie a pie? It is definitely a layer sponge or yellow cake with a custard filling & Chocolate Ganache glaze. Whatever you call them- they are yummy!
- 1 box
- (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 1 box
- (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 c
- cold milk
- 1/2 c
- cool whip topping, thawed
- 2/3 c
- heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 c
- (6 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
THIS GANACHE IS ALSO EXCELLENT AS A FILLING OR ICING FOR A CAKE.
How to Make Mini Boston Cream Pies
- 1HEAT oven to 350ºF.
- 2PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on package for 24 cupcakes. Cool the mini cakes completely.
- 3BEAT pudding mix and milk (1 cup) with a whisk 2 min. Let stand 5 min.
- 4MEANWHILE, use serrated knife to cut cupcakes horizontally in half.
Whisk 1/2 cup COOL WHIP into pudding;
- 5SPOON the pudding/custard mixture onto bottom halves of cupcakes, using about 1 Tbsp. for each. Cover with cupcake tops.
- 6HEAT whipping cream in a 1-quart saucepan,over low heat just to boiling.
REMOVE from heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- 7LET STAND about 15 minutes or until mixture coats a spoon.
- 8SPOON about 2 teaspoons chocolate Ganache onto each mini Boston Cream Pie top.
This is a simple Ganache -there are more involved ones you can make; for these minis, this works great and is good! ENJOY!!
- 9NOTE: You can bake the mini cakes in paper cupcake liners and instead of cutting the cakes in half, you can cut out a small plug down from the middle top of the cake (don't go all the way to the bottom); remove the cut out section and pipe the pudding mixture down in the hole; replace the cut out piece of cake and then spoon on the ganache.
Even though it won't look like a mini Boston Cream Pie (and you won't be able to get as much filling in it), it is just another way of making the little cakes.