How to Make Measure Accurately
- 1All ingredients are not measured alike. Follow these suggestions for accurate measurements every time:
- 2FLOUR - Handle flour gently. Sift before measuring, but don't sift directly into the measuring cup. Instead, lift lightly with a spoon and place in a dry measuring cup. Don't shake or pack down. Fill the cup to overflowing and then gently level off.
- 3SPICES, SALT, BAKING POWDER, ETC. - Dip measuring spoon down into the container holding the ingredient. Level off with a spatula or back of a knife.
- 4WATE REPLACEMENT METHOD FOR SHORTENING - Solid shortening may also be measured in this way. Use a liquid measuring cup. Subtract the amount of shortening the recipe calls for from 1 cup. Put that amount of water in the cup. For example, if you need 1/4 cup shortening, fill a cup with water up to the 3/4 cup level. Then add shortening until the water reaches the 1 cup mark. Be sure the shortening is completely coveed with water. Drain off water and remove the fat.
- 5BUTTER OR MARGARINE - Measue as for solid shortening. If stick margarine or butter is used, measurements may be made by the following estmates:
1/4 stick = 2 Tbsp.
1/2 stick = 4 Tbsp. or 1/4 cup
1/3 cup = 5 1/3 Tbsp. or (5 Tbsp. and 1 tsp.)
1 stick = 1/4 lb. or 1/2 cup
4 sticks = 1 lb. or 2 cups
- 6MILK OR WATER - Use a liquid measuring cup. Place the cup on a level surface. Slowly pour the liquid into the cup while bending so the measuring line will be at eye level.
- 7WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR - Sift only if the sugar has lumps. Lift sugar lightly into a dry measuring cup and level off with the straight edge of a knife or a spatula.
- 8CONFECTIONER'S SUGAR - Always sift before measuring. Unless the recipe calls for packed confectioner's sugar, it should be lightl spooned into a dry measuring cup and leveled off.
- 9BROWN SUGAR - Sift before measuring if it's lumpy. Crush big lumps with a rolling pin. Unless the recipe specifies otherwise, brown sugar should be firmly packed into a measuring cup and leveled off. If it is packed firmly, brown sugar will hold the shape of the when turned out.
- 10MOLASSES - Measure in a graduated dry measuring cup. The molasses will "round up" so it must be leveled off with a spatula. Remove all of te molasses from the cup with a spatula.
- 11Please alert me to any typos found. Or any other kind of Os found!