Mamaw's Buttermilk Pound Cake
It's a simple yet very moist & delicious pound cake. Everyone requests it for their birthday cake, even the young ones, believe it or not.
It's brought to all family gatherings, and my sisters and I have to check with each other to make sure we don't all end up bringing it.
I've personally, never substituted butter for the margarine or shortening, because the cake is perfect using the ingredients as listed.For fall season,I add 1/2 cup of molasses 1 tsp ginger & cinnamon to batter
1/2 cbutter flavor shortening
2 3/4 cgranulated sugar
1 tspalmond extract (for a change, can use lemon)
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 cbuttermilk (or can use sour milk, 1tbs vinegar then fill measuring cup with milk)
1 1/2 cpowdered sugar
1/2 tspalmond extract (or lemon)
·a small amount of milk
How to Make Mamaw's Buttermilk Pound Cake
- preheat oven to 300 degrees
- cream 1st 3 ingredients together until fluffy
- add eggs & extract & mix well
- combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl
- alternate adding the dry ingredients & the buttermilk to the creamed mixture, mixing well between each addition.
- pour into a greased/floured BUNDT pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until the top springs & slightly browns
- cool a little in pan and while still warm, invert onto serving plate.
- Glaze: mix powdered sugar & extract & just enough milk to make a THICK glaze. Drizzle glaze over WARM cake. If adding glaze to a completely cooled cake, add a little more milk, to make it thinner.