Liqueur Pound Cakes (For Gift Giving)
1 1/2 cbutter, at room temperature (do not use margarine)
1 lbconfectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tspvanilla extract
2 3/4 ccake flour
2 cgranulated sugar
1/2 ccorn syrup, light
1 1/4 camaretto (or rum, hazelnut or orange liqueur)
How to Make Liqueur Pound Cakes (For Gift Giving)
- Preheat oven to 300F. Prepare 4 loaf pans, each about 3 1/2 by 7 inches. Butter each loaf pan, then dust lightly with flour.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar to butter, beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix cake flour into creamed mixture.
- FOR THE LIQUEUR SYRUP:
In a 2- or 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, light corn syrup and water. Over medium heat stir slowly until mixture simmers. Continue heating without stirring until mixture boils. Cover and boil for 1 minute until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear. (NOTE: If you don't cover the pan and if you stir while the syrup boils, crunchy sugar crystals will form in the finished cake.)
- Remove from heat and uncover. Let stand to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Turn cake out and immediately return cake to pan. With a slender wooden skewer, wooden pick or fork, poke 1 inch deep holes, about 1/2 inch apart, all over the top of cakes.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of syrup over each cake. It will soak in. Let cool on rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve, or wrap securely and store in a cool area.