Lemon Pound Cake Loaf
- 12 1/2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, room temp
- 3/8 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp
- lemon zest, very fine
- 1 1/3 c
- 4 large
- eggs, room temp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- almond extract, not imitation
- 1 2/3 c
- cake flour, sifted then measured, do not use all purpose flour
How to Make Lemon Pound Cake Loaf
- 1Set the butter and eggs out on the counter to come to room temperature a couple of hours before assembling cake batter. Alternately, set out the night before. Room temperature is crucial to your success.
- 2Prepare a loaf pan by greasing well with butter. Line the bottom with paper. Grease the paper with butter. Dust the entire pan with flour and tap out excess.
- 3In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with the salt and zest for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the sugar and beat 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 5Add 3 of the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each egg. Total mixing time should be about 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- 7Add the flour, all at once a mix for 2 minutes until well incorporated.
- 8Add the fourth egg and beat into batter for about a half a minute.
- 9Turn out batter to prepared pan and spread evenly with the back of a metal spoon. Tap on counter to ensure that there are no air pockets.
- 10Place loaf in a COLD oven. Turn the heat to 300 degrees. Do not open the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Test with a pick after the 1 1/2 hours. If necessary bake another 10 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- 11Cool baked loaf on a rack in its pan for ten minutes. Release the cake from the pan. Remove the paper. Cool completely on rack before wrapping in a layer of waxed paper and an outer layer of foil.
- 12Cake keeps well at room temp for several days or in the fridge for even longer. It also freezes well for later.