Kumquat Ogura Cake
I've not made this myself. It was different and interesting. You know how it is when you come across a recipe that is really different to you. You have to have it even if you know you'll never make it yourself!!!
I think that might be ADDICTION to a hobby???
***If anyone can convert these measurements, please do.
I tried, but didn't come up with anything that satisfied me.
- 100 g
- egg yolks
- whole egg
- 1/4 tsp
- 60 g
- vegetable oil
- 80 g
- kumquat marmalade
- 80 g
- cake flour, sifted
- 200 g
- egg whites
- 55 g
- 500 g
- 500 ml
- 250 g
- rock sugar
- 75 g
- chopped dark chocolate
- 300 g
- swiss meringue buttercream
- 5 oz
- egg whites (~140g)
- 5 pkg
- caster sugar (~140g)
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp
- quality vanilla extract
- 500 g
- unsalted butter, cut into 2" chunks, room temperature
CHOCOLATE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM: (OPTIONAL IF YOU LIKE CAKE PLAIN)
SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
How to Make Kumquat Ogura Cake
Preheat oven @ 150 degrees. Grease and line a 8" square x 2 1/2" tall pan.
- 2Whisk ingredients (A) together in a mixing bowl. Add in (B). Set aside.
- 3Whisk egg whites until frothy & add in sugar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks.
- 4Gently fold in the whites into (1). Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- 5Steam bake in a preheated oven @ 150 degrees for 40 mins.
- 6Once tester comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 7Slice the cake into 2 and spread the chocolate swiss meringue buttercream in between.
- 8KUMQUAT MARMALADE:
Half kumquats and remove seeds.
- 9Place all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. If they have softened, turn off heat and let cool down a bit.
- 10Blend kumquats coarsely or finely (up to you) and return to the pot. The kumquat puree will look opaque.
- 11Meanwhile sterilize 2 jam jars.
- 12Cook the puree on medium low heat until it looks glossy. (you can do the wrinkle test, it will form)
- 13Pour hot jam into sterilized jars and cover it immediately. When it cools the safety seal will go down. Do not open jars until time to consume.
- 14CHOCOLATE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM:
Prepare a double boiler with a gentle simmer.
- 15In a heat proof bowl, combine egg whites, sugar and salt into it. Mix well but no beating is required.
- 16Place the bowl over the double boiler and placing a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- 17Stir once in awhile to prevent the egg white from curdling at sides. Aim to have the temperature to reach at least 146F/63C for food safety reasons.
- 18Once the temperature is reached, remove from heat and beat it till it is silky white.
- 19Add vanilla extract and mix well. If the mixture is still hot, place it over a bath of ice water to cool it down.
- 20Add the butter chunks one piece at a time and continue to beat while doing so.
- 21Continue to beat till all the butter has been added and the buttercream is smooth and silken.
- 22Melt the chocolate in the microwave and let cool for a minute before mixing into the room temperature buttercream.