HEAVENLY LEMON POUND CAKE (Sallye)
3 stickreal butter only, softened
3 cgranulated sugar
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 Tbspdried lemon peel or 1/4 cup fresh lemon zest
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make HEAVENLY LEMON POUND CAKE (Sallye)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt & lemon peel together and set aside
- Beat softened butter and sugar together until creamy.
Continuing to beat, add eggs one at a time until well mixed
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to butter and sugar mixture until well blended, ending with flour mixture.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and beat into mixture.
The secret to this cake is mixing the batter VERY well.
- Fold batter into greased and floured bundt pan.
Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour
- Then do the old "toothpick test" (you know-if you stick a toothpick into the thickest part and if it comes out clean, the cake is done). If necessary, cook for 10 more minutes.
You may need to cook it about 10 more minutes
- Remove from oven and leave in pan for about 5 minute then turn out onto serving plate (you may have to run a knife carefully around the edges to release the cake from the pan).
I hardly ever put any kind of glaze on this cake, but you could if you desire.
- Easy glaze:
Mix 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 1-1/2 cup sugar in a heavy sauce pan and cook over medium heat just until sugar is completely dissolved.
Remove from heat and dribble slowly over the cake, allowing it to run down the sides.