GREEK HONEY CAKE
Phyllis R Pack
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 csugar-for honey syrup
1 choney-for honey syrup
3/4 cwater-for honey syrup
1 tsplemon juice for honey syrup
3/4 csoftened butter-for cake
3/4 csugar-for cake
1/4 cmilk-for cake
1 cflour-for cake
1 1/2 tspbaking powder-for cake
1/4 tspsalt-for cake
1/2 tspcinnamon-for cake
1 tspgrated orange rind for cake
1 cchopped walnuts for cake
How to Make GREEK HONEY CAKE
- FOR SYRUP:
combine sugar, honey and water in saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and boil two minutes. Set aside for later.
- FOR CAKE: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, orange rind , cinnamon . Set aside
- CAKE: Cream together, softened butter, sugar, eggs and milk.
- CAKE: add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
- CAKE: mix in chopped walnuts (original recipe calls for chopped but I found them too heavy, so I grind them roughly in my mini food processor).
- Pour into a greased 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and tooth pick comes out dry when testing.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes, cut top into diamond shapes, pour syrup all over cake making sure it saturates cake evenly. Allow to sit for a few hours, cut and enjoy.