GRANDMA BETTY'S FAMILY FRUIT CAKE
2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
2 tspvanilla extract
2 tspalmond extract
1 lbpitted dates
1/2 lbwhole red cherries / candied
1/2 lbwhole green cherries / candied
1/2 lbpineapple pieces / candied
3 cwhole walnuts
How to Make GRANDMA BETTY'S FAMILY FRUIT CAKE
- Oven should be preheated to 250 (yes that is correct - 250) and cooking time is 2 hours (yes, 2 hours). Prep time is about 30 minutes. You will need 5-6 Mini Loaf Pans approximately 5" x 3" in size, I used 6.
- Bowl #1 - Mix flour, baking powder and sugar, SET ASIDE
- Bowl #2 - Mix Eggs, Vanilla extract and Almond extract together, SET ASIDE
- Bowl #3 - Mix Dates, Cherries (RED AND GREEN), Pineapple (get the largest pieces you can find, not whole but not the bits either) and Nuts together, SET ASIDE. (note: I have also used Pecans - either or both are excellent) NOTE #1: BE SURE to SET ASIDE 3 CHERRIES for EACH mini Pan to go ON TOP of each cake before cooking. NOTE #2: I do not add all the syrup from the candied fruit, I do my best to remove the candied fruit from the containers leaving behind the goo. I do not rinse the fruit.
- Follow this order for easiest blending of above ingredients - Mix Bowl #1 and Bowl #2 together. Be sure to get a creamy, no lumps remaining, smooth consistency. I use a large spatula to achieve best blend.
- REMINDER: BEFORE YOU FOLD BOWL #3 into the BATTER created by BOWL #1 & BOWL #2 - BE SURE to set aside three cherries for each fruit cake to put on top of each mini loaf before they go in the oven. THEN, fold ingredients of Bowl #3 into your above blended batter.
- Spray your individual mini loaf pans (as seen in photo) with a cooking spray of your choice.
- Scoop out enough batter to fill each tin. Do not over fill. This recipe will fill 6 individual mini tins nicely. NOW - ADD THE SET ASIDE CHERRIES to the top of your loaf pan now filled with the completed batter to accent your creation.
- Place the tins on a large cookie sheet (for easiest in and out placement to oven) AND BAKE - 250 slow oven for 2 hours.
- When finished, remove from oven and let cook on wire rack.
- I leave the fruit cake in the pans, and then put the pretty little Fruit Cakes in a fancy clear food type gift bag or wrap in clear plastic wrap and add a bow so everyone can see your delicious treat when you present it to them.