Fresh Fruit Cake with Carmel Glaze
- 1 stick
- (4 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 c
- cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- 3/4 c
- plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- eggs, at room temperature
- firm, ripe bosc pears ( 1 1/2 pounds)-peeled, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 c
- fresh or frozen berries (cranberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp
- whiskey, like jack daniel's
How to Make Fresh Fruit Cake with Carmel Glaze
- 1Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter a 3 by 6 inch round cake pan or springform pan, line with parchment and lightly butter the parchment. In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter over low heat and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a hand held mixer, beat the sugar and eggs at high speed until pale yellow and fluffy, about 5 min. At low speed, mix in half of the dry ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time. Gradually mix in the melted butter, then the remaining dry ingredients. Beat at medium speed until the batter is thick like honey, about 2 min. Fold in the pears and berries and scrape into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake approximately 1 hour and 10 min., or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not open the oven door to check until at least an hour has passed). Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for about 20 min., then remove cake from the pan and let cool completely. Trim the top crust to allow the cake to sit evenly if needed.
- 3Make the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the carmels, cream and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat, then stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and whiskey. Let cool until thick but still pourable.
- 4Invert the cake onto a plate or cardboard. Spoon the glaze on top and let it run partially down the sides.