Fluffy Apple Cake
3granny smith apples
1 tspvanilla extract (optional-almond essence)
1/2 cbutter or margarine
1/2 cwhite sugar
1 tspbaking powder
·dark or golden raisins
·almond flakes, almond slivers or chopped walnuts
18 inch round cake tin
How to Make Fluffy Apple Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350f.
- Grate complete rind of lemon, set aside.
- Squeeze juice from lemon, set aside.
- Peel and core apples. Slice them into 1/2 inch thick wedges. (Place slices into lemon juice, to save their color, if preferred)
- Separate the egg whites from yolks.
- Cream vanilla, butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks to butter and sugar, mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder, mix well.
- Add lemon juice and grated rind, mix well.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until VERY stiff.
- Fold egg whites GENTLY and lovingly into batter with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into greased 8" cake tin.
- Sprinkle raisins, cinnamon and almond (or walnut) pieces on top (in amounts that suit your taste).
- Bake for 30 minutes. I find the exact amount of time seems to change with each cake, so do the butter knife test at 30 minutes, cook a bit longer if knife blade doesn't come out clean from the center.
- As soon as knife blade comes out clean from the center of the cake, it's done!
- As soon as cake cools, sift powdered sugar on top if desired for an extra touch of sweetness!