Evelyn's Apple Brown Betty
My mother liked her food tasty, plain, and simple with just enough spice but not overpowering spices, so if you like yours this way, too, you may enjoy this recipe.
MIX AND SET ASIDE:
4 capples, pared, cored, and sliced
2 cdry bread crumbs
·juice of one lemon
1-2 Tbspbutter (for dotting on top)
HOT VANILLA SAUCE:
1 tspflour (to thicken) (could use cornstarch if prefer)
1 Tbspvanilla extract
How to Make Evelyn's Apple Brown Betty
- Layer 1/3 of the bread crumbs in the bottom of a well greased baking dish
- Next, layer half of the apples and half of the sugar mixture
- Layer 1/3 more of the crumbs
- Layer the rest of the apples and sugar mixture
- Final layer of crumbs
- Mix together the 1/4C water and the juice of one lemon and pour it over the entire pan...
- dot with butter over the whole pan
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
- Serve with hot vanilla sauce. (see below)
- HOT VANILLA SAUCE:
Add flour to cold milk and stir.
Place all ingredients in sauce pan and heat to make sauce. (You may add more or less sugar and vanilla, to taste. You may also add a little butter for flavor, too, if you like.)