Drema's Southern Pineapple Upside Down Cake
I hope you will try and enjoy this quick dessert for our fast-paced lives!
- 1 pkg
- pineapple upside down cake mix (or you can use your own original cake recipe)
- 1 can(s)
- crushed pineapple, drained (reserve liquid) -small can
- 1 can(s)
- sliced pineapple, drained (reserve liquid) -large can
- 1 jar(s)
- maraschino cherries
- 1 c
- brown sugar, light
- 1/2 stick
- margarine or butter
- 1 large
- iron skillet, ungreased
How to Make Drema's Southern Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place margarine or butter in skillet. Place in oven until melted, hot and bubbling.
- 2Meanwhile mix cake mix according to directions on box. Add in crushed pineapple and hand stir gently until mixed well. Replace the water with the reserved pineapple juice. (Add any water to adjust the juice to the directions amount for liquid) Set aside.
- 3Remove skillet from oven. Immediately crumble brown sugar all over the bottom of skillet. Place cherries cut in half (rounded side down) in sugar mixture. Add sliced pineapple on top of each cherry half. About 5 slices should fit in pan and 1 in the center. Press slices down into the sugar mixture well. Pour cake batter over top.
- 4Adjust over to 375 degrees and bake for approximately 50 minutes or according to package directions. When finished remove from oven and let set for about 10 minutes. Using a knife, careully go around edges of cake. Place your cake or serving platter over bottom of skillet (and using a mitten) flip your cake over and let set for 10 more minutes. Lift off the southern skillet gently. Cake should come out with everything intact. Yum Yum Enjoy!
ps - If you have extra pineapple juice - pierce or prick holes in your cake and drizzle the juice over the holes. Oh my goodness - it is so Gooood!