Double Chocolate Chipotle Chili Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We know you're wondering... and the answer is, YES! You can definitely taste the chipotle flavor in this cake, but it's simply delightful! We topped our cake with whipped topping and the whole Kitchen Crew fell in love. Go on, spice up dessert! The Test Kitchen
3eggs, stand at room temp for 30 mins.
2 call-purpose flour
3/4 chershey's special dark cocoa
1 tspbaking soda
3/4 tspbaking powder
3/4 cbutter, softened
2 tspvanilla extract
1 1/2 cmilk
3 ozbaking chocolate, semi-sweet, grated
2 Tbspchipotle chili powder
How to Make Double Chocolate Chipotle Chili Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease either a 9 x 13 oblong pan, or three - 8x1 1/2 inch. round pans. (I use Pam type butter flavored spray or Baker's Joy when making cakes).
- In medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, Chipotle chili powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter for 30 seconds on medium to high. Gradually add sugar 1/4 cup at a time beating after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat on medium an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Alternatly add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beating on low after each addition until just combined.
- Beat on medium to high for 20 seconds. Stir in grated chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans (or place in pan if using oblong). This batter will be quite thick.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove from pan(s) and finish cooling on wire rack.
- Frost with Especially Dark Chocolate Frosting (recipe on site), or your favoite frosting. If, desired top with a dollap of whipped cream and some shaved chocolate.