DOBOSH (DOBERGE) CAKE (SALLYE)
DO NOT BEGIN THIS IF YOU HAVE LIMITED TIME!
Although it doesn't use a cake mix, I think you could play around with it and figure out how to use a mix.
6 largeeggs, separated
1-1/4 cgranulated sugar
2 Tbsplemon juice
1 csifted all purpose flour (measure after sifting)
1 cground walnuts
·glace fruit for garnishment (optional)
4-1/2 ozsemi-sweet chocolate
6 largeegg yolks
1/2 cgranulated sugar
3/4 cheavy cream
How to Make DOBOSH (DOBERGE) CAKE (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 350º
Grease two 9" cake pans. Line the bottom of pans with wax or parchment paper and grease the paper
Separate the egg yolks and whites into two medium sized mixing bowls
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and pale yellow.
Gradually add the sugar into the yolks, beating until thick and fluffy.
Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Sift together the flour(yes, again), cornstarch and salt over the yolk mixture all at once.
Fold the flour mixture into the yolks with a rubber spatula.
- Beat the egg whites in separate mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
Stir approximately 1/4 of egg whites into yolk mixture to lighten.
Fold in the remaining egg whites into the yolk mixture until no white streaks remain
Spread the batter into the prepared pans equally, smoothing out with rubber spatula
Cook at 350º for 20 minutes until tops spring back when lightly touched with a fingertip.
Cool the cakes in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes
- WHILE CAKES ARE COOLING, MAKE THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Heat double boiler with water in bottom part to boiling, turn down to simmer.
In top of double boiler, melt chocolate.
Beat 6 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium size mixing bowl until pale yellow.
Stir in heavy cream and salt.
Stir egg mixture into melted chocolate.
Cook over hot water, stirring frequently until thick.
Remove from heat and beat in softened butter a tablespoon at a time
If chocolate mixture cools too rapidly while adding butter, place the chocolate back over the hot water for a minute or two.
Set aside to cool (may be placed in fridge if necessary to thicken)
- Remove cakes from pans, and cut each layer in half horizontally using a serrated knife.
Brush crumbs away.
Fill and stack the layers with the chocolate frosting.
Frost the top layer
Cover the sides with the ground walnuts
Garnish the top with walnuts and the glace fruit (optional)
- Whew!!! All done except to serve and listen to the compliments.