Crusty Pound Cake
It has a slightly unusual baking method to create the crusty top -- oh and, ahem, 1 and 1/2 pounds of butter!!
Since I refuse to pass on a recipe with "margarine" in it, I have adjusted the butter and milk to be more healthy.
The picture is a "guess" but the recipe is authentic.
- 3 c
- 3 c
- sifted flour (sift three times after measuring)
- 6 stick
- butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 c
- milk (add flavoring to milk)
- large whole eggs
- 2 tsp
- flavoring (vanilla, lemon, or one of each) (could also use almond and/or vanilla)
- drops yellow food coloring added to the whipped ingredients before the flour and milk
How to Make Crusty Pound Cake
- 1DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN.
All ingredients room temperature (75F or above)
WELL GREASE and Flour: one tube pan, or two loaf pans
- 2Cream the sugar and butter. Reduce speed and add one egg, whip for 1/2 minute then add the other eggs, one at a time, whipping for 1/2 minute between each one.
- 3Reduce speed to slowest and add 1/4 of the flour, blend for 2 minutes using spatula to scrape the bowl. Now add 1/3 of milk, the food coloring and whip 1 minute then repeat alternating flour and milk. Starting and ending with flour.
- 4Do not preheat the oven. Place the cake on the middle rack and turn oven to 325 F. Bake for 1 1/4 hour -- then set oven to 350 F and bake for 15 minutes more. Cake should be very brown but not burnt.
- 5Remove the cake from the pan immediately when taken out of oven and place it on a cooling rack to cool.