Chocolate/Strawberry Mayo Cake
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- ghirardelli cocoa (or your preference)
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 c
- strawberry nectar*
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 pt
- fresh strawberries
How to Make Chocolate/Strawberry Mayo Cake
- 1Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, soda and salt; mix well. Add strawberry nectar*, mayonnaise, and vanilla; stir until smooth.
- 2Pour batter into a greased and floured (or I use powdered sugar) 9" spring form pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until done but not overbaked. Cool.
- 3Remove sides of pan from cake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a strainer; serve with fresh, sweetened strawberries, or strawberry sauce and ice cream.
- 4Strawberry Sauce: In a food processor, blend one pint of quartered and hulled strawberries with 1/3 cup of sugar (more if needed for sweetness) until liquified. Store in refrigerator.
Fresh strawberries: I add 1/4 to 1/2 (depending on sweetness of strawberries) cup of sugar to a pint of strawberries and marinate for a period of time to produce the juice for serving on the cake. For garnish, you can dip a few halves of strawberries in melted chocolate and place on wax paper to set chocolate.
- 5*I use Jumex Strawberry Nectar found in local food stores. You can substitute with strawberry juice or water.