Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake
Note: White cake mix may be used with cherry jello and dark chocolate frosting and maraschino cherries with stems dried and dipped instead of strawberries-
( I use this one).
- 18 1/2 oz
- betty crocker super moist white or strawberry cake mix
- 3 oz
- pkg. strawberry jello
- 1 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- vegetable oil
- 3 large
- 1 c
- seedless strawberry jelly
- 1 can(s)
- betty crocker rich and creamy milk or dark chocolate frosting
- 2 c
- medium strawberries-18 to 20
- 1/2 c
- white baking chips, more if needed
- 1 tsp
- solid shortening, not vegetable oil makes fruit weep
FILLING & FROSTING:
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350^- for dark or non-stick pans 325^.Grease bottoms and sides of two 9- inch round cake pans with shortening and lightly flour, or spray with baking spray with flour. In large bowl, mix cake mix and gelatin. Beat in water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl(batter will be lumpy). Pour into pans evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Split each cake horizontally into 2 layers. On serving plate, place top of 1 layer, cut side up; spread with 1/3 c of the jam. Add bottom 1/2 of layer, cut side down; spread with 1/2 cup of jam; repeat with remaining cake layers. Frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Arrange dipped strawberries around top of cake, if using. Store cake in refrigerator.
Gently rinse berries and dry on paper towels (berries must be completely dry). Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. In a 1-quart saucepan- melt vanilla chips and shortening over low heat , stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Dip bottom 1/2 of each berry into vanilla chip mixture; allow excess to drip back into saucepan. Place on prepared pan. Refrigerate until coating is firm, about 30 minutes, or until serving time.