CHOCOLATE CARAMEL CHEESECAKE TO DIE FOR
Recipe & photo: BHG.com
2 ccrushed vanilla wafers (about 50 wafers)
6 Tbsp(3/4 stick) butter, melted
1 pkg(14 oz.) vanilla caramels (about 48 caramels)
1 can(s)(5 oz.) evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
1 cchopped pecans, toasted
2 pkg(8 oz.ea.) cream cheese, softened
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 csemisweet chocolate pieces, melted and slightly cooled
·caramel ice cream topping
·chocolate curls (optional)
How to Make CHOCOLATE CARAMEL CHEESECAKE TO DIE FOR
- In a large bowl, combine crushed vanilla wafers and melted butter. Press onto the bottom of a buttered pie plate.
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels. Stir in evaporated milk and toasted pecans until well blended. Pour over the vanilla wafer crust in the pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add eggs, beating on low speed just until combined (do not overbeat). Stir in melted chocolate. Pour over caramel-nut layer in pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 40 minutes or until a 2-1/2-inch area around the outside edge appears set when gently shaken. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen from side of pan, cool completely on wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with caramel topping, whipped cream, and chocolate curls.
- NOTE: How to toast pecans
1. Preheat oven to 300-to-325 degrees.
2. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or use a non-stick baking sheet.
3. Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
4. Toast nuts in the oven for 10-to-15 minutes or until nuts begin to grow a little darker.
5. Turn the toasting nuts with a spatula halfway through the cooking time.
6. Use your nose to pick up a toasting smell. This usually means they're done.
7. Allow toasted pecans to cool on paper towels. Toasting nuts makes them want to stick together, so separate them while they're still warm.