Chewy Gooey Chocolate Cake
NOTE: it must be made the night before so it can sit in the refrigerator overnight. It's definitely better the next day. After that, you can leave it out on your counter.
1box german chocolate cake mix
3/4 cbutter, melted
1 cevaporated milk
1 pkgcaramels (14 oz)
1 cwalnuts, chopped
1 cghirardelli chocolate chips
4square semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/4 chalf and half
How to Make Chewy Gooey Chocolate Cake
- Mix cake as directed on box. Add melted butter and only 2/3 cup of the milk.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 13x9 dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- While cake is baking, melt caramels with the remaining milk.
- Remove cake from oven and pour caramel mixture over the cake. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of nuts and all the chocolate chips.
- Add remaining half of batter on top.
Return to oven and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, melt the semi-sweet squares of chocolate with the half n' half.
- When cake is done, remove from oven. Spread the frosting atop the cake. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator overnight. Remove from frig and let it sit out to warm up a bit. Cut into one inch squares, and serve.