Chewy Gooey Chocolate Cake
NOTE: it must be made the night before so it can sit in the refrigerator overnight. It's definitely better the next day. After that, you can leave it out on your counter.
- box german chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 c
- butter, melted
- 1 c
- evaporated milk
- 1 pkg
- caramels (14 oz)
- 1 c
- walnuts, chopped
- 1 c
- ghirardelli chocolate chips
- square semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 c
- half and half
How to Make Chewy Gooey Chocolate Cake
- 1Mix cake as directed on box. Add melted butter and only 2/3 cup of the milk.
- 2Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 13x9 dish.
- 3Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- 4While cake is baking, melt caramels with the remaining milk.
- 5Remove cake from oven and pour caramel mixture over the cake. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of nuts and all the chocolate chips.
- 6Add remaining half of batter on top.
Return to oven and bake 20 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, for the frosting, melt the semi-sweet squares of chocolate with the half n' half.
- 8When cake is done, remove from oven. Spread the frosting atop the cake. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- 9Cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator overnight. Remove from frig and let it sit out to warm up a bit. Cut into one inch squares, and serve.