CHEESE CAKE by Grandma Nell
I remember one Saturday morning in Camarillo,CA she made this unbelievable Cheese Cake with me watching. We wrote it all down for you.
For Christmas: add 2 cans of cherries with juice to chilled Cheese Cake.
1 boxzwiebeck baby crackers (or biscotti)
1 stickbutter, melted
2 tspcinnamon, ground
4 largeeggs, separated, save the whites
2 pkgknox gelatin
3 pkg8 oz philadelphia cream cheese
2 mediumjuice from 2 lemons
1/2 ptwhipping cream
1 tspvanilla extract
2 can(s)cherries, with juice
How to Make CHEESE CAKE by Grandma Nell
- ,THE CRUST:
Roll zwiebeck to fine crumbs. Melt butter in sauce pan. Mix cinnamon and sugar with the crumbs. Mix with melted butter. Press into spring-form pan. Put in refrigerator to set. Save some crumbs for the top.
- THE FILLING:
Mix gelatin with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- Place beaten egg yolks, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a double boiler. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly until mixture coats a spoon, like custard.
- Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture. Cool until lukewarm.
- Place softened cream cheese into mixing bowl. Cream and add custard to the cheese. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until fluffy. Fold egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Beat the whipping cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla and fold into mixture. Lastly, add the lemon juice.
- FINISH: After Crust is set, pile filling into crust, add cherries and put saved crumbs on top.
Refrigerate until set (at least 4 hours).