CHEESE CAKE by Grandma Nell
I remember one Saturday morning in Camarillo,CA she made this unbelievable Cheese Cake with me watching. We wrote it all down for you.
For Christmas: add 2 cans of cherries with juice to chilled Cheese Cake.
- 1 box
- zwiebeck baby crackers (or biscotti)
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- cinnamon, ground
- 4 large
- eggs, separated, save the whites
- 1 c
- 2 pkg
- knox gelatin
- 1 c
- 3 pkg
- 8 oz philadelphia cream cheese
- 2 medium
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 pt
- whipping cream
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 can(s)
- cherries, with juice
How to Make CHEESE CAKE by Grandma Nell
- 1,THE CRUST:
Roll zwiebeck to fine crumbs. Melt butter in sauce pan. Mix cinnamon and sugar with the crumbs. Mix with melted butter. Press into spring-form pan. Put in refrigerator to set. Save some crumbs for the top.
- 2THE FILLING:
Mix gelatin with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- 3Place beaten egg yolks, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a double boiler. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly until mixture coats a spoon, like custard.
- 4Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture. Cool until lukewarm.
- 5Place softened cream cheese into mixing bowl. Cream and add custard to the cheese. Mix well.
- 6Beat egg whites until fluffy. Fold egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- 7Beat the whipping cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla and fold into mixture. Lastly, add the lemon juice.
- 8FINISH: After Crust is set, pile filling into crust, add cherries and put saved crumbs on top.
Refrigerate until set (at least 4 hours).