Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cake
She shared her aunts recipe and over the years this is the recipe I'd grab when I baked a chocolate cake.
In 1997 I entered the cake in the County Fair and was given the Blue Ribbon. My kids then called it "Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cake".
I have taken this cake to many picnics, church suppers, potlucks and just because. I always go home with an empty pan!
I use this cake recipe in my cast iron lamb cake molds at easter.
I frosted this cake with Yummy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting by Sherry Symmonds and it complimented this cake perfectly.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The buttermilk makes this cake so, so moist. And the coffee brings out the chocolaty goodness in this cake. I think this will become your go-to chocolate cake. And don't count on any leftovers!
You can click here to find Sherry's Blue Ribbon Yummy Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting or Mary has also included the recipe. The Test Kitchen
BLUE RIBBON CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1 3/4 cflour
3/4 chersheys' cocoa
2 tspbaking soda
1 tspbaking powder
1 cstrong cooled coffee
YUMMY VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/2 cunsalted butter at room temperature
2 tspmeringue powder
2 tspwhite vanilla extract
1 tspbutter flavor extract
3 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cake
- In large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
Beat at medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cool cake before frosting.
- To prepare frosting in a large bowl beat Crisco and butter at high speed until light and fluffy. 3-4 minutes.
- On low speed add meringue powder and extracts. Beat on high 1 minute.
- On low add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Scrap bowl to ensure all ingredients combine.
- Add water if needed. This will depend on the humidity.
- When all is combined beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Scrape bowl as needed.