Betty's Rich Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
Note - to make this recipe gluten free, swap 3 cups of self raising flour for 3 cups and 4 tablespoons of gluten free flour and swap 1/2 cup of plain flour for 1/2 cup gluten free flour.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 1/2 cups butter
·3 cups brown sugar
·2 cups milk
·1 cup cocoa (yes a full cup)
·1 ts bicarb
·3 cups self raising flour
·1/2 cup plain flour
·3/4 cup hazelnut meal
·5 eggs at room temp.
·1 tablespoon vanilla essence
How to Make Betty's Rich Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Place the butter, sugar, milk and cocoa in a large saucepan. Over a medium heat melt stir until the butter and sugar are melted. Bring just to the boil and add the bicarb. Remove from the heat and let cook slightly.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oC/375oF and well grease and line 3 x 20cm (8 inch) round cake tins.
- In a large bowl, add the flours and hazelnut meal, stir well to combine. Add the slightly cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla, stir well. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Divide the batter between the 3 tins equally and bake in the pre heated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes and turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich the cakes together with your choice of whipped cream, whipped cream and nutella blended together or a chocolate mousse filling.