Betty's Easy Gluten Free Sponge Cake
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·5 eggs at room temp. must not be cold.
·1/2 cup super fine (caster) sugar
·1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·1 1/4 cups gluten free maize corn flour
·1/2 teaspoon baking powder
FILLING - OPTIONAL
·1/2 cup jam - slightly warmed to ease spreading
·1 1/2 cups whipped cream
How to Make Betty's Easy Gluten Free Sponge Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 375oF/180oC. Grease and line 2 8 inch (20cm) round cake tins.
- Use an electric mixer (I use my mix master) beat the eggs for a full 8-9 minutes. They will become pale and creamy and quadruple in size.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, this is very important. Do NOT just dump it all in. And continue to beat until the sugar has dissolved (add in the vanilla) and beat for roughly another 5 minutes.
- Using a sifter over a plate, sift the flour 3 times. Finally sift the flour over the egg mixture. Gently fold the flour in.
- Carefully divide the batter between the two pans and bake in the pre heated oven. Bake for 20-22 minutes (do not open the oven to take a peak!) The sponge should springs back with touching and the sides of the sponge should have pulled away from the tin.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Line a wire rack with baking paper (the top will stick to the rack other wise) and gently turn out.
- Cool completely, cover one half with jam and whipped cream and carefully place the other cake on top. Dust with icing (confection) sugar and serve.