Betty Crocker Mystery Fruitcake (1957)
The ad says:
"You start with a pre-baked cake.
You use frosting as a liquid.
You never bake the fruit"
Sounds to me like the fruit would be especially good in this one because it is never "condensed" by the process of baking. And no wonder it is a "mystery" cake, it is not even baked in the usual sense.
This is an unusual recipe!
Hope you like it!!
- 1 pkg
- betty crocker super moist spice cake mix
- 1 pkg
- bc fluffy white frosting mix
- 4 c
- candied mixed fruit (abt 2 lbs)
- 1/2 c
- whole red and green candied cherries
- 1 1/2 c
- seedless raisins
- 1 c
- cut up dates
- 4 1/2 c
- pecan halves (abt 1 lb)
How to Make Betty Crocker Mystery Fruitcake (1957)
- 1Step one: Bake a Betty Crocker Spice cake mix per the package instructions. Cool the cake and crumble it into a very large bowl or pan.
- 2ALTERNATIVE TO STEP ONE: Bake a white or yellow cake mix to which you have added:
-- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
-- 1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves
- 3Step two: Add all the fruit to crumbled cake and stir -- probably with your hands inside a couple of plastic bags -- or plastic gloves if you have them -- or a large wooden spoon would do, as well.
- 4Step three: Open the can of fluffy frosting and mix it with the cake and fruit (If you have it in a box, then make the frosting and add to the fruit.)
- 5Step four: Line a tube pan with foil and fill with the mixture.
NOTE: Personally, I don't like my food to touch foil -- so I would use parchment paper following these instructions:
A. Prepare one-piece tube pan (10x4): Cut heavy brown paper bottom (trace bottom of pan) and one 4" wide strip to go around the inside of the pan (slit the top every half inch or so, to conform to shape of pan), and another 5" wide to go around the tube.
B. Lightly grease the pan with butter, place the paper liners inside, then lightly butter the paper (or can grease the paper before putting into pan -- greased side next to cake, not the pan.) The grease on the pan, holds the paper, the grease on the paper is for the cake.)
- 6Chill in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before eating
- 7Makes a 5 pound cake