My Grandmother(Nana) gave this recipe to my mother more than 50 years ago. Of the many carrot cake recipes that I have, this one is my favorite, yet it's the simplest, without all sorts of other stuff in it. You can add nuts if you like, but I don’t; I like the cake just as it is, with no extra fruit or nuts. This is Rosemary’s(my lil sis)favorite, and mom baked it every year for her birthday until she passed on July 10.2011. Guess I will be the one to bake it for her now. RIP mom!
11. Cream sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time and cream well.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Add to first mixture.
5. Fold in grated carrots (and ½ cup chopped nuts, if desired).
6. Pour into three 9-inch or four 8-inch layer-cake pans or into a 9x13 pan.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until done.
8. Frost as desired. (I usually do a Cream Cheese Frosting.)