Are You Kidding Me?! Cake (gluten-free, low carb)
I use only *blanched* almond flour. I have no idea how this will work with anything other than that; I'm sure the results will be very different with almond meal.
It is VERY crucial to not over bake this. The toothpick test doesn't work...if it comes out clean the cake will be too dry.
And even though there's coconut in here, you don't really taste a lot of coconut flavor.
1 1/4 cblanched almond flour
8 ozvery dark chocolate (semi-sweet, bittersweet)
1/2 cunsweetened coconut milk (i use canned, first pressing)
1/2 cunsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tspsea salt
1/2 tspbaking powder
2 Tbspcoconut oil
1/2 cchopped almonds for garnish
1/2 cchopped bittersweet chocolate for garnish (more or less as you desire)
How to Make Are You Kidding Me?! Cake (gluten-free, low carb)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8 x 8 pan with coconut oil.
- Melt 8 oz. chocolate, 2 T. coconut oil and the coconut milk together, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Blend almond flour, salt and baking powder in bowl.
- Stir vanilla and eggs into slightly cooled chocolate mixture (make sure it's not too hot or it will cook the eggs!), then combine with dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepared 8 x 8 pan, and garnish with a sprinkle of coconut, chopped almonds and as much decadent dark chocolate chunks as you like.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE!!
- This is simply chocolate bliss, especially if you want to be really naughty and top it while still warm with whipped cream....The nice thing about this cake is, you feel like you're being naughty eating it, but it's actually a pretty healthy deal! I found the original recipe for this on one of those Paleo/Caveman diet websites, and it was horribly dry and somewhat tasteless. After a lot of tweaking, it is finally bursting with flavor and very moist.