How to Make Angel Food Cake
- In an extra large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 time; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating till stiff peaks form.
- Sift about one-fourth of the dry mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. (If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in remaining dry mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake.
- Tip: Turn cake upside down immediately after baking and let cool completely. If your cake is too high, invert the pan over a metal funnel or a glass bottle that has a slim neck.
Tip: Loosen the cooled cake from the pan by sliding a metal spatula between the two. Constantly pressing the spatula against the pan, draw it around the pan in a continuous, not sawing, motion so you don't cut into the cake.