Almond Cake or "Torta de Almendra"
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/3 c butter
- 1 egg
- 2 t grated orange peel
- 1/4 c crushed almonds
- 1 t almond extract
- 1/4 c sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liquor or almond liquor
TOPPING PRIOR TO BAKING
TOPPING AFTER BAKING
IF YOU PREFER YOU CAN TOP THE CAKE WITH A SPRINKLE OF POWDERED SUGAR OR A DRIZZLE OF POWDERED SUGAR, MILK AND ORANGE OR ALMOND EXTRACT
How to Make Almond Cake or "Torta de Almendra"
- 1Spray an 8x8 in square baking pan or a 9 in round baking pan with non stick cooking spray
- 2In a large bowl on low speed beat all cake ingredients for about 30 seconds, then beat on high speed 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Pour cake batter into spray pan and sprinkle with the sliced or slivered almonds. Then bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven
- 4If using the sugar and liquor topping, sprinkle cake immediately with sugar and then drizzle on the liquor. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from pan. If using the dusting of powdered sugar or the glaze, allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan and add your topping.