- 4 c
- 1 & 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- solid vegetable shortening
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large
- eggs, beaten
- 2 lb
- ricotta cheese
- 4 large
- eggs slightly beaten
- 1 c
- pecorino romano freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly grated black pepper
- 8 oz
- fresh mozzarella, chopped
- 4 oz
- sliced boiled ham, chopped
- 4 oz
- prosciutto, chopped
- 4 oz
- sliced soppressata ( or other salami), chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
IN A LARGE MIXER BOWL COMBINE
PULSE IN FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL THE MIXTURE RESEMBLES LARGE CRUMBS.
PULSE UNTIL THE MIXTURE FORMS A SOFT DOUGH. DON'T OVER MIX, OR THE DOUGH WILL BE TOUGH.
SHAPE 1/3 OF THE DOUGH INTO A DISK. SHAPE THE REMAINING DOUGH INTO ANOTHER DISK. WRAP EACH DISK IN PLASTIC WRAP. CHILL 1 HOUR, OR OVERNIGHT.
BEAT TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL
How to Make Torta Rustica
- 1Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
Preheat the oven to 375º
Butter a 9 x 3-inch springform pan.
- 2Roll out the larger piece of dough to a 15-inch circle.
Drape the dough over the rolling pin.
Carry the rolling pin to over the prepared pan.
Fit the dough into the pan.
Flatten any wrinkles.
Scrape the filling into the pan.
- 3Roll out the smaller piece of dough to a 9 1/2-inch circle.
Cut the dough into 3/4 inch wide strips.
Lay half the strips 1 inch apart over the filling.
Give the pie a quarter turn and place the remaining strips on top.
Press the ends of the strips against the dough on the sides of the pan firmly to seal.
Trim the excess dough
- 4Beat together
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon water
Brush the lattice top with the egg mixture.
Bake for 75 minutes.
The pie should be golden brown on top and the filling should puff up.
Cool the pie in the pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the sides of the pan.
Let the pie cool completely.
serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.