Quinoa with Fruit & Cinnamon
- 2 c
- 4 c
- almond milk, plain, vanilla or coconut
- 2-3 stick
- cinnamon or 1 1/2 teaspoons groun cinnamon
- 1/4 c
- plus 2 tablespoons agave syrup, honey or brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla or almond extract
- 1/8 tsp
- toppings: toasted nuts or cocnut, fresh or dried fruit, nut butters, chia or flax seed.
How to Make Quinoa with Fruit & Cinnamon
- 1Cover quinoa with cool water and soak 5 minutes in a 4-quart pot. Soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly and loosens any dust, chaff or saponin (usually removed in processing), which can give the quinoa a bitter taste. Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool, running water while stirring with your fingers. Shake the strainer to remove any water. Set quinoa aside.
- 2Place milk and cinnamon (sticks or ground) in saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Watch carefully as the milk can bubble up quickly and scorch. Stir in the strained quinoa and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let quinoa and milk simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in sugar, vanilla or almond extract and a pinch od salt. Cover and continue to simmer until all the milk is absorbed, another 8-10 minutes.
- 3Remove quinoa from heat and allow it to sit fir 5 minutes with lid on. Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve with milk, fruit, nuts, chia or flax seeds or whatever toppings you like, and serve immediately.