Nut Free Trail Mix Bars
- 1 c
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 4 c
- cereal you like which has no nut products such as cereal puffs, rice chex, etc
- 8 c
- total chosen from the following: raisins, craisins, dates, dried apples, dried apricots, other dried fruit, chocolate or carob chips, banana chips, roasted and hulled sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds
How to Make Nut Free Trail Mix Bars
- 1Line an 11 by 17 inch pan with aluminum foil.
Spray the foil surfaces with non-stick spray.
Combine the cereal, fruit, seeds and salt and set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine the honey and sugar.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to boil.
Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan, making sure that the thermometer is immersed in the mixture, but not touching the bottom of the pan.
Cook without stirring until thermometer reaches 250 degrees.
- 3Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, then pour the hot mixture over the cereal mixture.
With a wooden spoon, mix and stir until the syrup mixture coats the cereal mixture. Add any melt-able candy chips when mixture is cool enough NOT to melt them. Immediately turn out onto the prepared, lined pan With oiled hands, press the mixture firmly down until it fills the pan. After 20 minutes, slice into bars.