Homemade Greek Yogurt
How to Make Homemade Greek Yogurt
- Pour milk into pot. Insert thermometer into milk. Turn burner to medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- When milk reaches a temp between 180 - 190 take off heat and let it set.
- When milk reaches a temp of 115, skim off any skim that may have formed on top of the milk.
- As the temp of milk reaches 113, take a cup of the warm milk and whisk it with the Fage (yogurt starter)then pour back into pot when the temp has reached 110 and stir thoroughly.
- Place lid on pot and wrap pot in a large towel.
- Place in oven (do NOT turn oven on) and turn on the oven light. :) This keeps the temp consistent so that the yogurt cultures can do it's magic for the next 8 hours. If you like your yogurt with more of a tang, leave it in for up to 12 hours.
- After 8 hours, take your yogurt out of the oven. You can either put it in jars chill and eat, or make it into Greek yogurt. If you want Greek yogurt then place your yogurt into a cheese cloth and let it hang for an hour or so with a bowl under it to catch the whey. Place in jars and put in the fridge.